Sunday, August 19, 2012

Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes...failure and success!

The only pancakes that I like are chocolate chip pancakes. I like them straight from the fridge so they are cold and then they taste just like a chocolate chip cookie. I. Love. Chocolate. Chip. Cookies. Pancakes, not so much though. However, my kids and my husband love them so I end up making them pretty frequently. As I was surfing through facebook the other day I came across a pancake recipe that included only two ingredients so I knew that I had to try them. Those two ingredients were bananas and eggs. I was a little skeptical on how these would turn out because I was worried about the texture and the crazy banana flavor. I love me a perfectly riped banana and some delicious banana bread, but that's about how far my love of bananas goes. But, I gave them a shot. The hulk helped me mash the banana and mix the eggs in. I sprayed my pan, poured in some batter, and prayed. My hint to you if you make these is to make small pancakes so they are easier to flip since they are a little flimsier than your traditional pancake. Anyways, I knew that these wouldn't be up my alley and I wasn't sure if  the kids would like them or not so I only made 2 pancakes to try them out. Why cook them all up if nobody would eat them? So, I served up the pancakes and tried not be too obvious as I stared at them while they tried them.

Only 2 ingredients

Mashed and Mixed

Finished product


The Sponge immediately spit hers out and said that she only liked chocolate chip pancakes (where did she get that from?!?!) and then I watched Hulk take a bite and then immediately spit it out as well. Obviously this was not for them either. However, knowing that I would probably write about this I knew that I had to try them myself. So, I braced myself and took a bite. Well, they tasted like a  banana omelet with a pancake texture. So, if you're looking for something new and healthy to try for breakfast and you love banana flavored foods then I'd say these would probably be worth trying. They just weren't for us. That being said, if you aren't that adventurous do what I did and turn that banana and eggs into a delicious banana and chocolate chip recipe. :)

Since finding this recipe for pancakes on pinterest it has been my base recipe for many different flavors (hmm...future posts!). This recipe cooked the way it is written is amazing as well. However, since I was trying to make a healthier banana pancake recipe this morning I decided to lighten the recipe up a bit as well.


Two thumbs up!!!



Makes approximately 14 pancakes

Recipe:
1 ripe banana, mashed
2 whole eggs or 3 egg whites
1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour (or flour of your choice)
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 scant tsp salt
2 tsp truvia sugar substitute
1 1/4 cups skim milk
1/3 - 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips depending on taste


Mix all ingredients until well combined. There will be lumps. Use 1/4 cup measuring cup to measure and pour batter onto oil sprayed frying pan over medium heat. Look for bubbles, flip. You can serve with whatever toppings you desire. We just eat them plain because they are so good on their own!




Hulk loves pancakes- they are probably his favorite food!


Today's lesson: don't be afraid to try something new because even if it is a failure initially, you can turn it into a success!









No comments:

Post a Comment