Thursday, July 12, 2012

Cauliflower Crusted Cheese Pizza :)

I was absolutely starving today after I put the kids down for their naps (I usually eat lunch during their nap time, it's just easier.) So, instead of pillaging my cupboards like a crazy lunatic I decided to look for inspiration on my Pinterest page. I had found this cauliflower crust pizza a while ago but was intimidated by it for some reason. (Maybe I just didn't want to drag the food processor out of my basement.) Anyways, this was very easy and quick to make (I didn't even have to have a snack to hold me over until it was finished). I may even make it again for dinner tonight...yes, it was that good. On these hot summer days I don't even like to think about turning on my oven so I made mine in my toaster oven and it turned out great. I did learn one very valuable lesson though through this process. ALWAYS spray your foil before you put your crust on it. I just hope that I didn't eat any foil as I peeled the pizza off and ate it with a fork. :)




The yummy cauliflower crust before it went into the toaster oven.

All done! (I left mine in a little too long.)


Recipe for crust:

1 cup of riced cauliflower (see instructions below)
1 cup of reduced fat mozzarella cheese
3 Tbs liquid egg whites (or 1 large egg)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
Extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven (or toaster oven) to 425 degrees F. Cover baking sheet with foil or parchment paper (if desired) and SPRAY with oil.

Mix cauliflower, cheese, and egg together in your bowl. The cheese will get all melty and yummy. Then add oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper and combine thoroughly. Your mixture will come together to resemble a traditional dough. If you find that you have excess moisture like I did, simply squeeze it out with your hands.

Press cauliflower mixture onto foil/parchment paper until it is about 1/2 inch thick then spray/brush with extra virgin olive oil to promote browning. Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.

Add pizza sauce, cheese, and precooked toppings of your choice and broil for 3-4 minutes until cheese is bubbly and brown.

Enjoy!

How to rice the cauliflower:
*Grate enough cauliflower to measure one cup with hand grater (or you can chop the cauliflower into chunks-not too much stem-and pulse it in your food processor until it looks like rice-do not puree it)
*Put cauliflower in microwave safe dish and cook on high for 2 1/2 - 4 minutes depending on your microwave (I did 2 1/2 minutes with my 1100 W microwave). Do not add water or you'll just have to drain it out later (personal experience again).


This is a recipe that you really must try, you will not regret it! Happy/healthy eating :)


Here's a printable version if you'd like it.



**Updated:**
The recipe above makes enough pizza for about an individual portion size. I recently made the pizza for a larger group and made 2 round pizza pans and a large rectangle pizza and it was a hit!
Below is the adjusted recipe that I used for 1 large round pizza pan.

* 3 cups of riced cauliflower-microwave for approximately 8 minutes or until soft
* 2 whole eggs or 4 egg whites
* 2 cups shredded reduced fat mozzarella
* 1 1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/8 + 1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
Extra virgin olive oil to coat dough 

(I didn't have onion powder, but if I had I would have added 1/4 tsp)






5 comments:

  1. I guess you don't have to have the foil, just make sure that you definitely spray the pan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. :) Sounds delicious - why don't you make this for me when we're in Randolph........... :) See ya soon!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should make it while we're out there..... hmmmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! You finally tried it! We cover ours with turkey sausage and load it with veggies. Soooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that sounds amazing! I'll have to try that next time Leigh Anne!

    ReplyDelete